Westec once again comes to Los Angeles on March 28th, but the real question is, “Are shops really looking to buy because of Westec?” IMTS has always had a good reputation for helping companies move their products, but Westec… well, let’s just say the lookie-loos are in no shortage. Maybe that’s due to the fact that Southern California has been a long time aerospace hub with manufacturers locked into the same old routine… Open vise, insert part, close vise, press start, repeat. However, it’s odd yet refreshing to see how this year’s show has pivoted to take on a slightly different image. Tapering off are the sessions stacked with executives from the big aerospace players. Instead, Tom Kelley, GM of IDEO (a consumer products design company), will take center stage. Refreshing indeed!
Of course, if your motto is still “Look, but don’t buy” you might be interested in these extracurricular activities while in Los Angeles:
- Tour Haas Automation – Oxnard
- Be amazed at the newly renovated Griffith Observatory – Los Angeles
- Eat at the PCH landmark, Neptunes Net – Malibu
- Be fascinated by watching planes take off at LAX – Los Angeles
- Play poker with the pros at the Commerce Casino – City of Commerce
- Drive through the heart of Compton… just to say you did it – Compton